Tuesday 12 February 2013

When I Grow Up



A few days ago, someone asked my son "What do you want to become  you grow up?" This question immediately transported me some 15 (ok 20-25 happy???) years back.

As a child, when I was asked this ridiculous question, I would squeal and promptly reply "Doctor". The reason being my Dad was a doctor and I had an interminable supply of disposable syringes, a torch and a stethescope. As simple as that. After administering innumerable water injections, I reached Class XI. The pain that followed was completely self inflicted. "Multiple Assault" is the only term that justifies the kicks, slaps and blows of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths that I was subjected to. So began a reckless round of hiding Brilliant Tutorial study material and desperately trying to think about alternative career options. Ambition was secondary. The primary aim was survival!

Since Dad was a doctor, it was certain that I would have to study to earn a living. Even a compounder or nurse needs a degree. So I settled for something less noble, but a little more rewarding. I did an MBA- the degree of last recourse. I am so glad that my son is not repeating his Mom's mistakes. Ask him this question and he will reply nonchalantly- "lots of things" or "nothing" or "let me think". No arm twisting this cookie into committing so early.

But now that I am a lot older and a little wiser, I have realised that the best job in this world is to be a critic. Recently, I read a critics review of Priyanka Chopra's new video for her International Single "In My City". Per se, neither do I think too highly of the single, nor of the video, but the review in TOI got me thinking. The critic had complained that the video lacked Indian-ness, Indian clothes, Indian accent. Oh Come Awn!!!It is an International Single featuring Will I Am from the Black Eyes Peas for Pete's sake! Now if she had wanted an Indian accent, would she have collaborated with someone whose Hindi translation reads "Kaali Ankhein Matar"? She is an Indian chic, and a very pretty one too. Just imagine her in a Kanjeevaram silk saree instead of the hotpants that she wore. Or kolhapuri chappals instead of her 5 inch heels. I agree that the sales would still be the same as the single isn't exactly setting Billboard on fire. But have to be true to your genre. And in Ms PC's defence, she does wear bangles. does a Bollywoodish jig and also has a back-up dancer sporting bindi and gajra.

Let us consider movies. Well, a movie critic watches movies for a living- what more can I say! And just imagine the perks if you are a Food Critic. Free gourmet stuff, at fancy places, with people making a beeline to wait on you. Now that is what dreams should be made of.

But I seem to be one of those who do not learn from their past mistakes. Instead of becoming a critic, I have gone ahead and become a writer! I should have just got "Fool" tattooed on my forehead. But I got another chance to choose what I want to do and I chose the braver option- stupid maybe, but brave none the less. This is like ticking off a box from my bucket list. I have written a book- a romance novella named "Yours Accidentally". A love story by a desi, for desis! My hero is Gautam- IIT, IIM, Investment Banker, Cricket Lover and Heroine is Sameera- gorgeous, rich, successful. They meet at their respective best friends' engagement. Do sparks fly? The physical attraction is palpable. But does it translate into something real?


Thus I gift you the best job in the world on a platter. Just go to www.indirom.com/madhur-nevatias-yours-accidentally/ and order a copy now. Read it and become a critic!

1 comment: